Resting Metabolic Testing:
Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) determines the amount of energy your body is using at rest. A Parvo Metabolic cart is used to measure resting metabolic rate (RMR). This information is provided by analyzing of the amount of oxygen your body uses and the amount of carbon dioxide your body produces.
After the test, you will understand the following:
- Your individualized resting metabolic rate: the number of calories you would utilize if you sat in a chair all day.
- This is helpful because it tells us how many calories you need to be eating in order to lose weight with long-term results. Often people are eating too few calories, so their bodies are not losing the weight they want. This test pinpoints exactly how much you should be eating and how much you should be exercising to lose weight in a healthy manner…and keep it off for the long term!
- This test is highly accurate and uses the same technology utilized in hospitals. Your RMR is used to calculate how much you will burn by daily activities such as walking, eating, driving, or exercising.
This is a great test for anyone who wants to understand more fully how their body operates and how to make sure it is being used most efficiently.
Dual-Energy X-ray Absorptiometry (DXA) is used to measure bone density and body composition. Two x-ray beams with different energy levels are used during scans. This is the most accurate way to determine body composition and fat percentage when compared to any other method even hydrostatic (under-water) weighing.
A total body scan will provide the following:
- Body Composition: distribution of fat mass, fat-free mass and lean muscle mass (body fat percentage)
- Bone Mineral Density (BMD): an indicator of osteoporosis/osteopenia presence and bone fracture risk
This scan is valuable for everyone and leads to and understanding of body fat percentage, lean mass percentages, and distribution by region. Distribution by region is especially important in determining risks for the development of cardiovascular disease, diabetes, metabolic syndrome, and many other lifestyle-related diseases. In addition, knowing your bone mineral density is incredibly valuable at any age, but especially after 40. Many individuals (varying in age) present with lower bone density (weak, fragile, breakable bones) due to the typical American lifestyle and lower hormone counts as we age. If identified early, this can actually be reversed in many patients with simple lifestyle changes.
VO2 Max Testing:
VO2 max testing is used to determine maximal oxygen uptake (or aerobic capacity). Cenegenics Carolinas uses a Parvo metabolic cart and stationary bicycle to determine maximal oxygen uptake during an incremental exercise test. Maximal oxygen consumption reflects the aerobic fitness of the individual being tested.
A VO2 Max test will provide the following:
- Measurements of aerobic capacity, cardiovascular factors, respiratory factors, and endurance capacity can be determined from this test.
- VO2 Max Score: Very accurate heart rate range to maximize workout efficiency. Why workout harder, when you can workout smarter?
- O2 Pulse: Indicator for cardiovascular health and can predict heart disease risk.
This analysis is valuable for developing accurate heart rate ranges for cardiovascular exercise prescription for sedentary individuals, non-athletes and athletes alike. Athletes find this valuable to better his or her performance. Those with risk factors for cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and other modifiable diseases should get familiar with his or her VO2 max score as well.
Carotid Intima Media Thickness (CIMT) refers to the combined thickness of the inner two layers (intima and media) of the carotid artery, which lies in the neck and feeds the brain. The test, which uses ultrasound, measures the thickness of the wall of the Carotid artery. Thickening in this artery is an early change, before actual plaques develop. This thickening is a sign of an increased risk of blockage development in the heart arteries and other arteries in the body, increasing the risk of heart attack and stroke.
The carotid ultrasound scanning procedure will provide the following:
- Early detection of heart disease or heart disease risk – the #1 killer in America
- A real, accurate picture of your arteries and their health
- Risk assessment of heart attack and stroke even in patients who do not show traditional risk markers for heart disease.
- Ability to see plaque in the arteries if present.
This test is valuable for all individuals, especially those that have a family history of heart disease or present with other risk factors. Knowing the health of your arteries can help you make lifestyle changes that will keep you vital and increase your longevity. This test is cutting-age medicine and is our pride and joy at Cenegenics Carolinas because we are actively involved in stopping the number one killer of Americans.