September 10, 2012
Tip Of The Week: Outdoor Workout Tips!
The “Dog Days” of summer are coming to an end and fall is quickly approaching! With kids going back to school and football season starting, we often think summer is over. But those hot, humid days are still upon us, so let’s be safe out there!
Tips for exercising outside:
Exercise early in the day when temperatures are low
- Only exercise outside if air quality is labeled as green or yellow
- Stay hydrated
- It is recommended that you drink half of your body weight in ounces of water
- Increase fruit and vegetable intake
- Wear breathable clothing
- Dri-fit, mesh and breathable fabrics are optimal
- Pick an appropriate venue for exercise
- Choose to exercise on dirt or grass rather than hot concrete or pavement
- Try swimming or locate a public park
- Wear a Heart Rate Monitor
- Core temperature increases during cardiovascular activity, so be smart and take breaks if your breathing becomes compromised or HR gets higher than normal at the same exercise intensity
If you are exercising outside, BE SMART!